Today is the big day!! I am off to the airport to board my flight to Sicily, Italy. And boy, am I excited. I really need a break from work, stress, life. I want this week to just breath and relax with people that I love in a beautiful place. I am literally counting down the minutes til take off! So while I wait, I thought I would take a moment to capture the beauty that is a well-packed carry on bag. I am one of those weird people who actually enjoys packing. I love being able to organize it and fit it all in just perfectly. I pack and re-pack my bags at least three times before any trip (I know, it’s weird). I even packed Sam’s bag for him. I love packing!
As a seasoned traveler, I have got many pre- and post-flight essentials that must be in my carry on bag or backpack. My carry on is always filled to the brim with everything that I crave on a long international flight. Here are some of my flight essentials:
1) Contact solution & glasses: this is an absolute must. As anyone with contacts knows, they get hella dry when you’ve been sitting in an airplane for 10 hours. I also like to have my glasses readily available in case my eyes get really irritated. I am a big fan of any drops that are cooling or hydrating.
2) Camelbak Water Bottle: Hydration station! I already guzzle water as it is, but I get extra thirsty on long flights. And I feel bad always asking the stewardess for water refills. So having an easily accessible and refillable bottle that is BPA free is always on my packing list. My favorite is the insulated CamelBak water bottle because it has a straw and doesn’t get condensation!
3) Fashion Magazines: I always pick up a few magazines at the airport. It is one of my pre-flight rituals. I love paging through them while waiting for the flights or in-between connections. Plus, when I’m done reading, I leave them on the plane or in the waiting area for someone else to enjoy. Recycle & reuse baby!
4) Facial Mist: My skin always needs a pick me up after a long flight. It always feels so tight and parched. So I love using the Angelica Face Mist from L’Occitane. It is a small bottle of hydrating and energizing facial mist that smells super nice. It is so refreshing for my skin and gives it a nice radiance.
5) Toothbrush and toothpaste : my breath is stanky after a long flight. And I hate having that taste in my mouth. So this is the first thug I do after getting off a flight. After stretching that is.
6) Extra Socks: my feet get cold! Enough said
7) Passport & tickets : I know this one seems obvious but it’s always good to double and triple check that you have these things. Because you ain’t flying without them! I like to have a little carrier to my important documents that is easy to grab quick to show during security.
8) Good Books: I can only watch so many movies that I don’t care about. And with layovers, a couple good books are essential to killing the time. This trip, I plan on finishing Shanturam and maybe starting “The Fault in our Stars”.
9) Gum & Snacks: While airplane food has improved dramatically since I was younger, you only get it on the international legs of your trip and I’ve got two connections before the long flight. So I know I’m gonna get hungry. And its really hard to find healthy or nutritious options at airports (unless you wanna spend an arm & a leg) so I like to pack a little bag of snacks & treats to hold me over. In my pack today I’ve got a bag of goldfish, strawberries & banana, hummus for some sliced carrots and cucumbers, trail mix and candied ginger (in case my stomach gets upset).